Thursday, December 17, 2009

Community Service

On Monday, January 19, 2009 Martin Luther King Day, Barack Obama asked the American people "turn today's efforts into an ongoing commitment to enriching the lives of others within their communities, their cities, and their country."

What are your thoughts on this statement? Discuss ways you could enrich lives of others in our community, city, and/or country. Why would our Barack Obama ask this of people? Do you think you will take up the challenge?

22 comments:

  1. I believe that Mr. Obama is correct. i could do alot more around my community. I could help out the elderly and help people in need. Barrack would ask this because he knows that people really need help. i will consider taking up the challenge.

    Kierra Mullins

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the president has the right idea. There are not to many ways that a teenager could help out the community but we can try to do anything we can. Obama wants us to help each other so that we are more united which is the right idea. I may take up the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this statement. I think he means that people could enrich others lives like martin Luther king jr. did. Barrack Obama asks this from all of us to try and make better community's and try to bring down the bad stuff that happens in community's all over America. Yes I will try my best to take up the challenge.
    -Jack Keith

    ReplyDelete
  5. Government "employees" such as Presidents have been asking us for years to help the country. They are right. The only way that we can heal the country is through treating others with respect and kindness. This means that we have to take time off our own to help the needy and downtrodden. We can do volunteer work or donate to charities that help enrich the lives of those whos lives are harder to live. But on the other hand, this also means that we can not force the hands of others to help. That would only make things worse because 1: They would start to look down on helping others and 2: The whole point is to help people, but then we would just be hampering them. Helping others is a personal choice.

    RJ Rainsberger

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alot more people could do alot more to help out their communities. There are alot of people that complain about stuff that goes on in the country, but then they don't even help their community. Even I could help out more, by volunteering, and helping people in need, so I agree with President Obama.

    Nicole Whitaker

    ReplyDelete
  9. A few years ago I took students to Cherry Street Mission - it was a real eye opener for them. I highly recommend you get involved, it can be very rewarding experience.
    Nicole you bring up a good point .. . people shouldn't complain if they haven't done their share. RJ - your point of treating others with respect is also valuable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i think obama was right that we all need to help our community out some. i think making donations to the poor or just making meals for them would help them in this time of need. i should start trying to help them out as well as everyone out too. Taylor Stobinski

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think Obama is absolutely right. Everbody should be helping others that are in their communities, their cities,or their countries. By doing so I think it will make the world a better place to live in. I have realized that and have been helping families that are in need and will continue to help as much as I can.
    Alayna Salazar

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think what Obama is right. We all do need to help out more around the world. Just by picking up a trash on the side of the road to helping a hobo. I think I would start by helping a Hobo by giving him food,water, and what ever else they need that I can get them.
    Katie Gill

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that President Obama is right. We do need to start helping out our community. There is several ways we can do this such as donating, picking up trash, or many other things. I believe that we should start doing these things.
    Chad Wingate

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think He wants to help out our economy and help the people in it. I think I can help by giving to diffrent charities around town. also I can donate food and clothes that i do not want anymore. I would consider helping people. I would donate to help our community. Anthony Cononie

    ReplyDelete
  15. i think obama is right we need to start helping our community. bye helping the enviorment and other people.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think he wants to be like martin Luther king. and help us with our messed of economy because everything is messed up rate now and we all need to work as a team and fix it..

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think that Obama is right, we need to help around our community. There are people far much less fortunate than most of us, and we need to do something to help. Like give them food, or a blanket.

    Mackenzie McNair

    ReplyDelete
  18. I believe that Obama is right. In a time of such economic downfall it is our job to reach out to our community and help others. We can help by donating objects, or we can volunteer our time. By helping others we are not only making a difference in our community, but taking the first steps to getting our country back.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think that President Obama is correct in trying to help out our people. I would help by giving the needy blankets and food and clean healthy water.

    Taylor Payton

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think Obama is trying to help the people who are less fortunate. If everyone put in a little effort to help out, the world would be a better place to live in. You could do things like donate clothes and food. You could also do community service. By doing this, you are making peoples' lives better, and I think that is what Obama is trying to get people to do.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think that it is a good idea. and that it will make people stronger as a country. It will also let the Martin Luther King legend live on.

    ReplyDelete